Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Egg Retrieval

Doc order 2 trigger shots of Ovidrel for Saturday night at 8:30 on the dot.  Sunday I got a shot free day...hurray, and welcomed a needle free 24 hours.  Our Egg Retrieval (ER) was scheduled for 7:30 on Monday morning. I made a conscious effort not to read or investigate to much on the procedure. I am finding that the more I know the more nervous I get. Better to be left in the dark on some things, especially when it includes putting me out, needles, shots, operations, etc... 

Monday morning we arrived at the clinic at 7am. I filled out the normal pre-opp paper work, vitals were taken, and I used the restroom.  Around 7:20 I was taken to the operation room and Mr. C was told it would be about a 1/2 hour total procedure with changing time. I quickly undressed and put on the operation robe, booties, and cap.  As soon as I laid down the anesthesiologist came and in explained that he was going to administer the meds that would put me in a twilight state. So, I would be totally asleep but breathing on my own.  He explained that it is the same drug that Michael Jackson was addicted to for sleep and that I would feel euphoric when I woke up.  I chatted with the anesthesiologist for about 10 minutes while he hooked up my iv and oxygen.  Then our Dr. came in and said hi and 30 seconds later I was out.  The next thing I remember was waking up and feeling pretty darn good...nothing like the laparoscopy general anesthesia journey I had been through. I was rolled to a small curtain room where I rested a few minutes and then Mr. C was brought back to sit with me.  After about 10 minutes of resting our awesome Dr. came in and said that he got 12 eggs! Obviously more than he and we expected as we ere all smiling and totally happy with the results. He literally looked relieved and said, "everything came out smooth and it looks great!." He then explained that 9 eggs were fully matured, 2 were possible, and 1 might not make it. He also explained that he was 90% sure we would have a 5 day transfer which would land on Saturday. Considering we were expecting and hoping for at least 8 and expecting a 3 day transfer we were very pleased. After the good news our nurse came back and gave us post-opp directions and my new meds calender. Our favorite post-opp direction was, "the doctor says not to drive and definitely do not make any critical decisions...lol." Mr. C helped me get dressed and we were in the car around 9:15. 

My mom met us at the shop so Mr. C could work and she took me home and set me up for a day of rest.  I had a tiny bit of bleeding once and some cramping throughout the day. I took a couple Tylenol to help with the cramping and took it easy the whole day. I had two dear friends and Mr. C's mama come for visits bearing gifts and hugs which was totally welcomed and appreciated! I took a long deep nap and pretty much had a normal appetite the whole day but ate light knowing that my system was not quite awake yet.  I took my new meds including the the newest being progesterone shot.  I was feeling a little nervous about this one because I had heard it was worse than Lupron, Bravelle/Menupor shots, however; it was not that bad and was totally bearable. I woke up today feeling a little more achy, tired, and crampy and it reminded me that I did indeed have a operation and to take it slow today.  Overall I will say the Egg retrieval was a smooth experience for me and the hardest thing is making myself rest even though I feel pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment