Sunday, August 19, 2012

Embryo Transfer

Wow!

Crazy, amazing, tears...those are the words I have for our Embryo Transfer this morning. Oh yeah, it was uncomfortable (more than I expected) but its hard for me to use that word when we just were a part of something soooo awesome!

When we arrived we met with Dr. Opera (I'll get to his new nick-name later) and discussed our full Embryo Report.  Four embies made it to transfer day.  So here is the break down:
12 eggs retrived
10 matured
8 fertilized normal
4 kept growing and made it to transfer day
1 out of the 4 made it to the blastocyst stage and the other 3 were a little slower. Dr. Opera showed us a picture of all 4.  The embie in the bastocyst stage was a perfect circle with a lot of activity going on inside it. The other 3 looked smaller, not as perfect shape, and less activity (but they all looked perfect to me). We discussed our numbers and how many we wanted to transfer and decided on 2 which was pretty much our desion from the start, but it was a tad bit tempting for us to blurt out, "put 3 in Doc!" .  Our other 2 will be frozen for later.  Next came the transfer.

Mr. C and I were in the same room as my egg retrieval. Our Dr. came in humming pretty loud what sounded like The Phantom of the Opera, which made me laugh and inquire. He said that it was in fact a new pop song he keeps hearing that sounds just like Phantom.  We went on to chat about seeing Phantom and Dr. Opera's recent and pleasantly surprised viewing of Cline Dion which made me laugh too.  The room was set up for a pap-type event but I would not describe it like that (even though I have read it to be much like a pap). For me, the prep for the transfer was pretty uncomfortable; lots of tugging, pulling, washing, weird noises, tubes, and light pain; however, I just breathed through it all as Mr. C massaged my head which totally helped.  Dr. Opera explained and showed on the screen his game plan and to Mr. C's advantage he spoke in golf terms. He showed us on the screen with the catheter where he was going to go put our embies. We all agreed it looked like a dog leg right hole and our golf expert Mr. C confirmed. They called the lab to bring our embryos. Dr. Opera put them into a catheter and said, "here they go,". Mr. C took a picture of the screen. Then we watched our two embies be shot inside via syringe and kinda twirl around. Tears rolled down my cheeks. Dr. Opera stood up and crossed his fingers and smiled.  And that is that.

I started my 2 day post embryo transfer bed-rest as soon as we got in the car.  I am realizing that Mr. C is right when he says, "you can't sit still", because I am struggling already through 1 day. Ha! Never thought of myself that way but I do like getting stuff done. If I were at the beach or pool - different story - but "no swimming" is on my restriction list so housebound I am.  Thankfully I was completely wiped from my lack of sleep the prior night so I pretty much slept the day away. I have some cramping here and there and my system is kinda starting to get back to a normal place. I am still taking all the prior meds plus 2 more suppositories - yuck!

Praising HIM for the life HE created and allowed inside me. Thanking HIM for Dr. Opera and his amazing team. Praying for the implantation process to occur and a healthy full term pregnancy.

Now we wait for the 27th which will be our pregnancy test.

No comments:

Post a Comment